WORKING TO MAKE WATFORD A SAFER TOWN
Watford Business Against Crime (WBAC) is a partnership membership scheme which aims to reduce retail crime and anti-social behaviour throughout Watford town centre.
During this very difficult time for businesses, particularly the retail sector, acquisitive crime has increased at a time when spending is down. Crime prevention and detection is therefore vital in order to reduce losses. WBAC and its members strive constantly to achieve this in order to benefit not just their own businesses, but every business in Watford so that the town is a safer and more attractive place to visit for us all.
WBAC was initially run by the Chamber, but in 2016 the management of the scheme was tranferred to The Watford Business Improvement District. WBAC employ a Co-ordinator with responsibility for the day to day running of the scheme.
How the Scheme Operates:
WBAC operates an information sharing scheme where information is gathered from members and the police. This information is then analysed to identify crime patterns and persistent retail offenders. WBAC then alerts members to counter any emerging crime patterns and also targets those offenders identified as ‘lifestyle criminals’.
This is complemented by a radio system which is central to WBAC. This ensures that members are in direct and constant contact with each other, the two CCTV centres in Watford and the WBAC Co-ordinator.
Benefits of the scheme include:
- Full membership of the Watford & West Herts Chamber of Commerce for all employees. This includes access to all member benefits and discounts.
- Exclusive access to intelligence about, and photos of convicted retail crime and fraud offenders.
- Links to Hertfordshire Police through nominated PCSOs and police officers who work in the town centre.
- Regular visits from police staff.
- Monthly meetings to share intelligence. These are also attended by relevant guest speakers such as representatives from the police and the Crown Prosecution Service.
- Free training sessions on a variety of topics including statement writing and correct use of the radios.
- Free signage, stickers and crime prevention material.
- Regular newsletters giving the latest news, crime trends and details of target criminals.
Fees and Membership:
The annual WBAC membership subscription is calculated according to the size of your work force. For details of membership benefits and fees please go to: